Thursday 5 July 2012

A Beautiful Mind


Tali: A Beautiful Mind is the incredible real-life story of John Nash, a physicist and Nobel Laureate who struggles with Schizophrenia throughout most of his adult life. I have to admit - reading the Wikipedia entry before writing this entry has made me question some things about this film (in particular the discrepancies surrounding Nash's use of medications as a means of therapy), but I highly recommend that you do NOT read the entry and instead watch the film with an open mind (a beautiful one, even). The film is done very well, allowing the audience to both want the best for Nash, yet finding yourself increasingly concerned by his erratic behavior throughout the film. Slow to start but if you don't cry at the end you have no heart. Period.

Leo: I have to admit that I did not suspect the schizophrenia until it was a little more explicit --SPOILER-- though I actually did notice the girl staying the same age before it was mentioned --END SPOILER--. This made the movie an equal amount of a mind fuck as it was an excellent story. It was funny, sad, and it actually made you feel good at the end. I have been really interesting in Game Theory since I learned about it about 2 years before seeing this film, so to learn about John Nash's story was a real treat. Even though some things may have been exaggerated or misinformed, this movie was incredible and got the point across and no one can argue with that. I put this movie off for a while since I disliked Russel Crowe so much after Master and Commander, but that was clearly a mistake. This movie is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment