Thursday 26 February 2015

Oscars 2015 In Review/Summary

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role - J.K. Simmons
Picks: Leo - J.K. Simmons. Tali - Edward Norton.

Leo: This didn't surprise me too much because of the range he showed in the movie. I do think there were better more genuine actors in the category, but award season was most definitely on his tempo.
Tali: I wonder what was Norton's excuse... WAS HE RUSHING OR DRAGGING?!?!?




Achievement in Costume Design - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Picks: Leo/Tali - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Leo: There is nothing surprising to say here: Wes Anderson creates incredible aesthetics in his movies.
Tali: DUH!

Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Picks: Leo/Tali - Guardians of the Galaxy


Leo: I guess I just hoped it would win something. Either way, I'm glad TGBH got the recognition it deserved.
Tali: Way to go, Team Wes!

Best Documentary Short Subject
Picks: Leo/Tali - Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

Leo:  I didn't see these, but I guessed right.
Tali: If you have access to it on HBO, you need to give it a watch!

Achievement in Sound Mixing - Whiplash
Picks: Leo - Whiplash
Achievement in Sound Editing - American Sniper
Picks: Leo/Tali - American Sniper

Leo: War movies generally do well for sound editing because of the sounds all over the place. Whiplash was basically all sound mixing, focusing on the drums and not letting it get drowned out by the other instruments / J.K. Simmons yelling.
Tali: What he said.

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role - Patricia Arquette
Picks: Leo/Tali - Patricia Arquette

Leo: Was there any surprise here? Apparently the least surprised person was her as she wrote out another speech and wore her infamous reading glasses. Meryl loved it though.
Tali: UGH, I just kept thinking, "Pat, my friend, do NOT take our those reading glasses--you look too prepared!" Though, I guess when you hit a home run, you showboat on the way to the plate.

Achievement in Visual Effects - Interstellar
Picks: Leo - Interstellar

Leo: Just think of the scene on the world with the tidal wave and the time-5th dimension etc. *shiver*
Tali: Considering how weird this movie was and how my feelings/memories for it change constantly, I guess I'm not surprised.

Best Animated Short Film - Feast
Picks: Leo - Bigger Picture

Leo: I was just basing this on research...actually watched Feast after and it was outstanding. 
Tali: It was a very cute little number!

Best Animated Feature Film - Big Hero 6
Picks: Leo/Tali - How to Train Your Dragon 2

Leo: I haven't seen BH6 but HTTYD is one of my favourite series of all time so I was pretty bummed about this....but I should see BH6 and I'm sure it's awesome.
Tali: We were both pretty surprised here!

Achievement in Production Design - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Picks: Leo/Tali - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Leo: How does one describe it? Every set showcases the quirky and magical style that Wes Anderson is famous for.
Tali: Another for Team Wes (at this point we are certain we are on a roll).

Achievement in Cinematography - Birdman 
Picks: Leo - Birdman. Tali - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Leo: The one-take, constant point of view shifting, style was incredibly done. In the scene with Emma Stone and Michael Keaton yelling, you did not know what he was doing when she was yelling at him and it made the effect that much stronger.
Tali: While I do understand the Birdman win there, there is something so aesthetically pleasing about every one of Wes Anderson's films that I just kept crossing my fingers that the Academy would finally give it a shout-out.

Achievement in Film Editing - Whiplash 
Picks: Leo/Tali - Boyhood

Leo: One would have thought the meticulous placement of the 12 year's worth of footage would have taken it but I guess I don't know anything about Film Editing.
Tali: Sure.

Best Documentary Feature - Citizenfour
Picks: Leo/Tali - Citizenfour

Leo: I didn't see it, I just thought it would win for some treason (#stoleNPHsjoke)
Tali: I am obsessed with WikiLeaks and with the Snowden case and I knew that this would win!!


Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song) - Glory
Picks: Leo/Tali - Glory

Leo: Chris Pine's face says it all.
Tali: The best part of the Oscars for sure!!

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score) - Alexandre Desplat (TGBH)
Picks: Leo - Johan Johannsson. Tali - Alexandre Desplat

Leo: I was happy with this result - it was my favourite. I guessed the guy that won the other awards....
Tali: Ding ding ding!

Best Original Screenplay - Birdman
Picks: Leo - The Grand Budapest Hotel. Tali - Birdman

Leo: I thought this was going to get recognized for what Wes usually gets recognized for. Birdman is not a surprise beyond that.
Tali: Hollywood loves patting itself on the back too much and this was the perfect occasion to do so.


Best Adapted Screenplay - The Imitation Game
Picks: Leo/Tali - The Imitation Game

Leo: The dialogue in this movie was outstanding. I do think this did not have much competition as the original screenplay category.
Tali: This movie was REALLY great.. if it would have come out at a different year it would have been a bigger contender in other categories, I think.


Achievement in Directing - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu
Picks: Leo/Tali - Richard Linklater

Leo: Esta fue una agradable sorpresa. I thought Linklater's vision and execution would win him this for sure
Tali: I was VERY surprised by this, but not so disapointed.

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Eddie Redmayne
Picks: Leo - Michael Keaton. Tali - Eddie Redmayne

Leo: I was totally OK with being wrong about this from the outset because I wanted to basically will Michael Keaton to win. I'm kind of sick of people getting Oscars for acting in a defined way like a real-life figure. I think it has a limitation on it. I thought Michael Keaton surpassed that limit. 
Tali: While I am very happy that Eddie got his due, this also produced one of the saddest moments at the Oscars too.
 
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Julianne Moore
Picks: Leo/Tali - Julianne Moore

Leo: The buzz of this performance was too much not to guess.
Tali: Even in the clip of the film that they showed, my body tensed up and my emotions went crazy and I just couldn't handle it. The film was breathtaking and she totally deserved the award.

Best Motion Picture of the Year - BIRDMAN
Picks: Leo/Tali - Boyhood

Leo: This was a huge surprise, but as I said in my predictions, I am very very happy about it. It was my favourite movie of the year and I'm glad it won.
Tali: I am still upset that Selma didn't win but I guess Birdman is OK too.

Overall: Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel - 4. Whiplash - 3. Boyhood - 1 (wow)

Leo: 15/24. I usually get closer to the 19-20 range.....but the Oscars were crazy this year. 
Tali: 14/24. Hey I was right behind you! Things were a little unpredictable this year... how many days till the Emmy's?

No comments:

Post a Comment