Saturday 29 December 2012

Skyfall

Tali: Skyfall is the latest installment of the James Bond series. In this film, we finally see some layers shed off of 007 (in more ways than one - hello!) and learn more about his upbringing and how it plagues him to this day. Some have said to me that they don't understand why I would like a film with so much macho attitude, fight scenes, the villainization of other cultures, the exploitation and usage of female bodies/sex, etc etc (even as I write this I can hear Leo going "YEAH THAT SOUNDS GREAT!"). But sometimes you need a little escapism; you want the good guy to go after and defeat the bad guy and get the girl, etc etc. What sets Skyfall apart, and what makes it memorable and worthwhile, is that you don't always know if you're going to get that predicted ending (which makes things exciting). PS - I don't care what anyone says, Javier Bardem does not play a convincing blonde.

Leo: Skyfall is an absolute masterpiece. To summarize my opinion in a sentence, this movie has everything all Bond movies have, and everything (almost) all Bond movies are missing. This movie has an incredible score and incredible acting (Javier Bardem is honestly up there with Heath Ledger). What I really like about these new installments of James Bond is that they really show his weaknesses. It is unfortunate that I think many people would confuse Bond's character weaknesses as movie weaknesses (such as his view of women and his general pretentiousness regarding himself and country). I see these weaknesses as intentional character development and I think they add a lot to the movie and make it more believable and real. The action scenes drown out most of the negative nancys who can't see past Bond surviving a 20 meter fall into water and the story pushes it even further. The ending makes you happy that Bond is not done.

No comments:

Post a Comment