Thursday 19 June 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Tali: HTTYD2 picks up 5 years where the last one left off-the viking village of Berk is now a thriving, dragon-filled community, only now they face the threat of someone wanting to take Berk's dragons to fight in some mysterious super-army. Both films had a lot of the same elements, which made them both enjoyable: fantastic one-liners, Toothless's personality (like a large, fire-breathing puppy) and just enough magic that it didn't seemed forced. However, this film was missing something-I can't place my finger on it-that made it not as special as the first. One cool thing in this film is the introduction of a character we have heard of before (I'm not gonna spoil it for you), though initially I thought they were cool and interesting, eventually the character totally fell flat. Though, apparently someone else also felt this way. 85/100.

Leo: This series, as many do, has an awesome original film but sequels are usually a little harder to keep the magic from the first. This is an exception. HTTYD2 keeps the same magical animated chemistry between Hiccup and Toothless that made the original movie one of my all-time favourites (if not my all-time favourite) - just look at his face in this clip. It was awesome to see two friends growing up together, taking similar steps together, and in the end growing into the potential their loved ones always thought, or at least hoped, they had. I don't know what the big deal about Valka (his long-lost mother) was for all those confused; she decided to stay away for clear reasons then decided to return because those reasons were gone and actually made into a positive aspect of Berk. I don't find it that crazy that Hiccup and Toothless overtake her in terms of power and awesomeness but I can see why some people do. The one thing the movie did not cover is why Drago did not attack Valka's home earlier, but in the end, it doesn't really matter and it could have been a number of reasons. I mean, all of these little things do nothing to top the hearstring-pulling tear jerking scenes that happen. Let's just say I'm happy that the 3-D glasses are tinted :). The SCORE. HTTYD probably has the best score in recent memory and I could play it on repeat for my entire life and not get bored, in fact I'm pretty sure I would be happy for my entire life. John Powell should do more stuff. If I were to give HTTYD 1 a Leometer it would probably be 99/100. This one is not as good but that has more to do with the original being impossible to top and the magic is still there. Look at this and this and this. I dare you to not enjoy this movie (and if you don't, you have no soul). Go see it. Leometer: 91/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment