Tuesday 3 June 2014

Only Lovers Left Alive

Tali: Only Lovers Left Alive tells the story of two vampires, Adam and Eve, as they deal with the melancholy of being alive for hundreds of years and living amongst the "zombies" (humans). I had high hopes for this movie, as other folks LOVED it. While there were no better casting choices than Tom and Tilda, I was quite disappointed with how slow the movie went. I love a good art film, but this was too much. I just wish more, happened. With that being said, abandoned Detroit served as the PERFECT background to this movie, and the humour was subtle and perfect. 70/100.

Leo: I actually enjoyed this movie a surprising amount despite its painfully slow pacing. I saw a quote from a critic that was something like: "It finds horror not in the extreme, but in the mundane" and that perfectly explains the film. It shows how these powerful immortal creatures lives sort of boil down to the very basics in terms of finding food and hiding from the dangers of the world. The amount the vampires sleep, while necessary to make the point of how mundane their lives are, made the movie even slower. The cast's delivery of the subtle humour was also perfect but I think we were the only ones laughing in the theater. Whatever they didn't get it. Leometer: 73/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment