Saturday 23 February 2013

Les Miserables

Tali: Les Miserables is a classic musical. You already know what it's about, I'm only going to tell you things that you need to know. For instance, if you don't know already, most of the singing was done live, which adds to the authenticity of the picture and creates a raw honesty not previously seen in movie musicals, and it fits so well with the setting of the film. There is almost no spoken dialogue (I didn't know this!), but that shouldn't deter you from watching - the songs are very engaging and the actors - especially the young ones - are emotionally captivating enough that you become connected to them and their stories. Though very entertaining and uplifting and romantic, I felt like I was missing something from the movie. This is not my favorite musical or style of musical, and perhaps because I was the last person on earth to see this movie, I got too caught up in the hype and missed out on Mis-mania, because I certainly wasn't getting it. I tip my hat to Hugh Jackman and the delicious intellectual revolutionaries!

Leo: Les Mis was an excellent story told in a very dramatic musical fashion. The live singing and no simply spoken words add to the entertainment value because it just further showcases the talent of the actors and singers involved. I think the most unappreciated star of this movie was the actress playing Éponine (brb looking up her name....case in point), Samantha Barks. She has an incredible voice and it fit so well with the tragic life of the character. Sasha Baron Cohen is hilarious as always and pairs incredibly well with Helena Bonham Carter to make a very comedic duo. Hugh Jackman, while not the most surprising or mind-blowing, was amazingly consistent and spectacular in his own right. He was the most convincing character in my opinion. I find it sort of flawed in terms of oscars for having movies like this in the same category as Amour, since one is obviously meant to be over dramatic (musical style) while one is meant to be real. I believe it is much more difficult to act "real" convincing than to over act, so I do not think Hugh Jackman or Anne Hathaway would really have earned the award if they win, however I think they did the best job within the guidelines of a musical performance. The one overall issue I had with the movie (semi-related with my previous point) was that it was too surreal for such a real story. They were speaking english in so many different accents....in France, not that I expected otherwise...I just found it kind of logically distracting. Everyone has to see this movie, the songs alone make it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment