Tuesday 12 February 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

Tali: Silver Linings Playbook is a tragi-comedy about Pat and Tiffany, two lost souls with varying degrees of mental illness, both trying to work through their idiosyncrasies and make life possible. Their relationship and their struggles will certainly melt your heart. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both astonishing in their roles - to a lesser extent with JL, but BC simply blew my mind away (I already know JL was a bad ass). Those two could not have made a better pair! In fact, the entire cast, dealing with all of the complexities and the drama of their own illnesses/baggage made the story believable and likeable. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie! I highly suggest you see it with an open mind (and an open heart).

Leo: Tali and I disagree about whether or not this was a chick flick (after which I will call her a chick and flick her) but the important thing is that I thought it was very entertaining and well done. I really liked the story and how it had an element of realism within the conflict and it wasn't just forced problems to create a story for the audience to watch two people come together (like the majority of chick flicks). It was definitely funny and smart in that sense. In addition to this, the acting was incredible. Robert DeNiro was amazing as Bradley Cooper's father, and Bradley Cooper played an amazing protagonist that you may not expect out of him. His role was likeable even though he was clinically insane. Jennifer Lawrence was very believable in her role, I don't care about the age difference, it made sense. She executed the role of the "equally fucked up love interest" perfectly. I had a few problems with the plot though. SPOILERS: I did not like the way he figured out that Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) wrote the letters. I thought it was obvious at the start that she was writing the letters, but Pat (Bradley Cooper) clearly believed it was his ex-wife, so it seemed forced that she kept unintentionally repeating "if I was reading the signs". I also found it somewhat unrealistic that he went from clinically insane and obsessed about one woman and then BOOM in just a week or so he falls in love with another woman, even if that woman is Jennifer Lawrence. All in all, great movie. One of the best "date movies".

No comments:

Post a Comment