Monday 24 June 2013

(500) Days of Summer

Tali: 500 Days of Summer is the indie comedy starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel that has melted and warmed the hearts of lovey-dovey girls and mildly impressed boys everywhere. It tells the story of Tom, a greeting card writer (is there a sweeter job?) who instantly falls head over heels over Manic Pixie Dream Girl Summer, and the non-linear story that follows showcases the ins and outs, ups and downs of their relationship. I obviously fell in love with this film because of its simplistic nature, it's not-so-perfect take on love, the indie soundtrack, the one-liners from the incredible roaster of off-beat supporting characters. An overall pretty great rom-com that sets itself apart from the crowd and makes itself a worthy watch.

Leo: To preface, I almost always hate rom-coms(or "chick flicks"). There is no avoiding the fact that this was one. However, this was not that bad. This movie kept my interest in many ways that most rom-coms did not. The style of the movie (non-linear) was really interesting and actually made me think. I obviously kept track of what happened on what day and the order in which they happened and that somehow made me more invested in the story. Another aspect that kept me engaged is that Tom (Joseph G-L) is a very likeable character. He is easy to relate to, and its very hard to root against him. Zooey Deschanel was a perfect cast as Summer because she has that "pretty" look that just screams "Date me!" as opposed to just a physical feeling. I think I hate her for playing such a convincing terrible person. The movie was surprisingly depressing even though it had an excellent supporting cast and Mathew Gray Gubler's preference of a "Bodacious Rack". The fact that he met "Autumn" helped a little bit, but not enough. Still, was a pretty worthwhile watch if you have to watch a rom-com.

No comments:

Post a Comment