Monday 24 June 2013

Fight Club

Tali: Fight Club tells the story of 'the everyman' (played by Edward Norton), his meeting up with Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) and their founding of a fight club. I had long avoided this movie for years because the big punch line was spoiled for me. I can honestly say that I wished I had avoided this film longer or entirely. The underlying narrative of the film, about the complexities of masculinity, the feminization of men in society and the pervasiveness of consumerism all left me incredible uncomfortable and at a lot of moments completely disgusted. I have a very little (to no) tolerance for the "Men's Rights"/sympathies which I found was something that the film was trying to illicit. Not to mention a lot of the fight scenes were pretty gruesome and hard to watch. Overall I was extremely disappointed.

Leo: I had picked this movie to show Tali as a "safe" option instead of "Once upon a time in Mexico" because it is more critically acclaimed and she never really "liked" watching Desperado (except for a few parts) when it was on TV. I guess it was a mistake..... Onto my review. I absolutely love this movie - it opened my eyes to so many things when I originally watched it (I was no more than 13 years old). It was depressing as well as inspiring at the same time and I feel it somewhat influenced my cynicism in my teen years because if its powerful anti-corporate/government/bureaucracy messages. Even though there is a huge plot twist that I know (from having seen this movie upwards of 6 times before) I still enjoy the subtleties that Fincher throws in such as the splicing of pictures and various references and clues to the plot that are essentially unnoticeable if you haven't seen the movie before. This was one of my favourite movies, but I should definitely start following the rules and stop talking about it (especially with Tali :P). 

No comments:

Post a Comment