Wednesday 18 March 2015

Big Hero 6

Tali: I was very hesitant to see Big Hero 6 - it won Best Animated Feature at the Oscars this year, but something about it just didn't appeal me (though obviously I caved). Big Hero 6 tells the story of a young boy and his unlikely partner in crime - a large marshmallow robot caregiver named Baymax. While Baymax was totally cute and endearing, the film was very choppy and didn't have the same kind of cohesion as some other recent animated films (such as How to Train Your Dragon, which draws the most obvious parallel). Definately enjoyable to watch (mostly because of how big and loveable Baymax is), but I wouldn't consider it a must-see (unless you really love cartoons). 83/100.

Leo: Despite my saltiness from the Oscars, I did love this movie. The animation was well-done and it was very much a spectacle. While I'd say the two main characters, especially Baymax, were comparable to Hiccup and Toothless (from How to Train Your Dragon) in terms of the hilarity, adorableness, and inspiring story arcs, I do not think the rest of the movie was at that level. The world in which HTTYD creates even from just the first movie was far more established. There was context and it made the movie feel more complete. Furthermore, the supporting characters in this movie were pretty lackluster compared to every character in HTTYD. Overall, awesome movie and I hope there is a sequel that gives more of a complete view of the world. Leometer: 88/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment