Monday 9 September 2013

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Tali: Once Upon a Time in Mexico is the third and final film of the El Mariachi films, and perhaps the most complex and interesting. In essence, the film is about El Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) getting recruited by Sheldon Sands (Johnny Depp) to do a special hit on this guy who killed his wife (Selma Hayek). Greatly inspired by the style of his friend Quentin Tarintino (perhaps you've heard of him?), the film's plot doesn't stay as concrete as you may think it does. The twists and turns keep this movie interesting where you think it may fall flat, and gives you more to think about and to digest from a typical drug/crime movie. Although I have previously enjoyed Willem Dafoe's performances, I don't know if he played a very convincing Mexican drug lord (perhaps he and Mickey Rourke should have switched parts).

Leo: It may be disturbing to some people that I consider this movie a 'childhood favourite', but I do. This movie was shown to me at a fairly young age by my famous Baba Jean. I instantly fell in love with the Rodriguez/Taratino genre (though they aren't the exact same...) and became incredibly willing to re-watch this movie at any time. The delivery of the lines, maybe I just get this from having seen it so many times, is my favourite part even when considering the action scenes and complexity of the plot. I don't know why I find it so clever when Johnny Depp says "fuck you", but it just makes me laugh and agree. The subtleties are, in my opinion, most enjoyable when surrounded by an incredibly unsubtle background that Rodriguez is famous for. I would recommend the El Mariachi movies to anyone who has the stomach for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment