Tuesday 10 September 2013

Man of Steel

Tali: Man of Steel is the latest movie about Superman. In this particular reboot of the familiar hero, we focus on his birth out in space, his upbringing on Earth, and his great power and destiny. I heard some lots of comic enthusiasts that they were disappointed with this movie, that what they saw was a "watered down" version of the mythology of Superman. For me (never much of a comic reader), I found this tale to be incredibly balanced between the realistic and the fantastical. There was just enough alien business going on (thanks to an amazing Michael Shannon) and enough relatable complexities that the whole thing was very very great and entertaining. If anything, Man of Steel introduced to us to one of the most gorgeous men in cinema right now.79/100.

Leo: I don't like to admit it, but I let the reviews influence my expectations of the movie. It's a good thing, then, that my expectations were greatly exceeded. There were lots of parts of the movie that I loved, and nothing that I didn't. First of all, the concept of not having kryptonite was very refreshing. I'm not at all dissing the classic storyline, but this seemed more.....real and actually kind of made sense. Jor-El, played by Russel Crowe, gave the movie an incredibly strong start and was great in his supporting role throughout the movie. I have a theory that a superhero movie can only be as good as its villain, and in this case Michael Shannon played a very believable and well-developed General Zod. I know everyone is drooling over how attractive Henry Cavil is, but Amy Adams can't be overlooked, and not just from the stand point that she is very pretty. She is one of the most dynamic actresses as she plays her roles incredibly convincingly and very well - she shrugged off the Louis' classic "damsel in distress" character and (with the help of Snyder and the team) created a much more powerful and interesting character. Ok, it was no Dark Knight or Avengers but it was definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. Leometer: 78/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment