Friday 21 February 2014

Captain Phillips

Tali: Captian Phillips explores the real-life tale of a cargo ship travelling through the Horn of Africa, at which point it becomes hijacked by Somali Pirates. Admittedly, I was initially weary of this film - I am not a Tom Hanks fan (in his later years) and there was something about this film that I was not excited about. How can I sit through a movie when I know full well what it going to happen the whole time? The first portion of the movie was quite slow.. but eventually, once the crew of amazing Somali actors hopped onto the ship, the pace picked up and the stakes were raised. It definitely exceeded my expectations, but it was certainly not the best (or top 5.. or top 10) movie of the year. 65/100.

Leo: If you see this movie because you like Paul Greengrass films, namely the Bourne series, you will be.....satisfied? I liked this movie and as much as I think Tom Hanks is great, he was basically being Tom Hanks for the first 85% of the movie. I found myself saying "ok Tom Hanks" a lot during the film. However, I do think the direction of the movie was good enough to earn this movie a nomination. Knowing what happens to the Captain doesn't really detract from the insane suspense at the end of the movie. That last 30 minutes of the movie alone really makes this movie worth seeing. However, not enough to be considered a top contender for best picture. Make another Bourne movie though plz. 67/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment