Friday 21 February 2014

Philomena

Tali: Philomena is based upon the true story (sensing a theme here with these Oscar nominations this year) about an Irish lady, who with the help of a disgraced English journalist, set out to once and for all find her long lost son, which she has been attempting to do unsuccessfully for 50 years.I had my reservations about this movie at first, but honestly I cannot even remember why. Judi Dench, as always, is outstanding. The story itself is very touching and captivating and sweet. The central (and true) backstory of the Irish nuns is also very interesting, and Philomena's unwavering commitment to his Catholicism bares attention as well. I would say Judi is a contender, for sure. 87/100.

Leo: I'll admit that I did not want to see this movie until the Oscars came out but I was pleasantly surprised. This movie was funny and witty while also being sad and powerful. There is not much else to say about this film. Judi Dench is amazing (did you know she's blind?) and carries the film. Steve Coogan was also great. I really think his character was one of the most important parts of the film for the story because it acted as a sort of link between the audience and Philomena. Audience sympathized with him - when he got mad, we got mad. It was really well-done and was a very easy movie to watch. 89/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment