Friday 20 January 2012

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

Tali: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (SHGOS) is the second instalment in Guy Ritchie’s franchise of the classic series. The film has elements that are classic to Ritchie and do not stray far from his distinct style, nor the clear-cut style of the first Sherlock Holmes film: very intricate cinematography with emphasis on the sweat and blood and raw physical pain in the action sequences leave little to the imagination except the desire to watch more. I am not a fan of action movies, unless they have a smart storyline and cleverness about them, which SHGOS definitely has. Robert Downey Jr. And Jude Law make an excellent team and a delight to watch. My only complaint was the absence of Rachel McAdams (whoops spoiler), but her replacement was also was very entertaining and her gypsy element/storyline added to the traditional English spectacle – just wish she was more involved in the mystery solving herself.

Leo: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was basically made for people like me. I love witty, intense, and plot driven action movies. A movie that can make me shit myself out of excitement, laughter, and plot twists is a definite winner in my eyes; it shows what movies are really about. When Sherlock is setting up to physically attack an opponent, it is one of the coolest parts of any movie. I also admire that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, it even mocks itself when things go awry in comical or a surprising manner. For example, when Sherlock plans an elaborate way of dispatching an assassin, his new gypsy friend simply stabs him with her knife. A surprisingly impressive part of the movie, is the acting. Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law are a hilarious pair; I’d argue the best duo in the last couple years. This is one of my favourite movies from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment