Tuesday 10 January 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Tali: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (TTSS) is an espionage film on limited release. I know a good political drama when I see one and this film definitely delivered an interesting and exciting narrative. Although it started off slow, the historical elements and realism in the film made it very believable – I almost forgot that what’s-his-name is in the Dark Knight. TTSS delivered exactly what one would expect from a British crime/period drama. The film relies on long scenes featuring lots of important dialogue. This left Leo and I mildly confused throughout the film – there were moments where we felt lost (because so much was going on) and when we felt ‘caught up’ we would get dumped with another plot twist that also left us a little... rattled (and we consider ourselves ‘professional’ movie-goers). Still, the film was very intriguing and I kept wanting to watch Colin Firth.

Leo: TTSS looked like it was going to be a type of James Bond movie with more intellectually satisfying content as opposed to awesome action sequences. It was almost exactly that, but it didn't have enough to give it a real suspenseful atmosphere. I'm usually the one who catches some plot point that no one else does in movies, but I felt like I was missing something during the plot and focused more on what I missed than what was happening. The side story with Tom Hardy seemed awkwardly placed but added a pretty cool simple storyline that was quite interesting as well. My review in 4 words: could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment