Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Tali: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the 2nd film in the Hobbit triology, which acts as a prequel series to the Lord of the Rings (that is a lot of Middle Earth). The film picks up essentially where the first one left off, and takes further on the journey to retrieve the precious Arkenstone from the dragon Smaug's lair (which is also former Dwarf territory). Though it sounds like I know what I am speaking of, this is because the Peter Jackson films in this series are pretty accessible to those less (un) familiar with the lore and legend of the Tolkein tales. Despite its extensive running time, the film entertains and keeps viewers interested. The return of Legolas? Perfect! Benedict Cumberbatch? Even better! However, as the lights turned on in the theatre, I couldn't help but want for the story to just friggin' END already - why on earth do we need a third movie??? 65/100.

Leo: I liked this movie while I was watching it for the first 2 hours or so but it DID get very long. It was so long to the point where I feel people forgot the really well-done action scenes, specifically when they were rolling down the river and the orcs were chasing them while they survived and Legolas was busy shooting arrows through like 12312301209 orcs at once. Awesome scene. The dragon was also incredible, but I felt like Peter Jackson was toying with me like Smaug was toying with Bilbo, because it lasted too long for it to end without anything really happening. This movie was entertaining but it still hasn't reached the bar set by LOTR and was very "middle-chapter". That being said, any story in middle earth is going to make me feel nostalgic and I will enjoy it. Leometer: 83/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment