Sunday 1 December 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Tali: Catching Fire is the incredibly sequal to the first Hunger Games movie, the 2nd in a four-part film adaptation of the wildly popular young adult novel. The film picks up from the last one; we see Katniss and Peeta on their Victors tour after winning the 74th Hunger Games, the uprisings in the districts and the eventual 75th Hunger Games - which ends in the best fashion. This film has everything - a strong, complicated and captivating female protagonist, an interest and relevant storyline, hope for the future and cute guys who fight each other (you also have Stanley Tucci and Jeffrey Wright). In the last week or so since I saw the film, I have turned into quite the little fan with this movie. I still cannot believe that this story, the world with its mysticism and revolutionary message is targeted and overwhelmingly appreciated and values by teen girls and young women everywhere!! The widespread merchandising of this franchise is a little out of hand (and hugely ironic), but I can say with utmost certainty that you will LOVE this movie! 97/100.

Leo: First of all, when Tali says "a little fan" she means "full fangirl mode" because she reads stuff and talks about it all of the time. As for me, I liked this movie an embarrassing amount since I am not a young woman (as far as I know). Before I saw the first Hunger Games movie, I was expecting twilight tween etc sappy teenage girl whiny bullshit. I was very wrong. This series is absolutely brilliant so far. It follows the somewhat familiar (but always a favourite of mine) martyr vs higher-up evil authority figures and the take on it is very fresh. I don't know why it took so long for people to find a female protagonist that is actually likeable to all audiences. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is perfect. Katniss breaks all of the stereotypes by having a personality and wit while also being very headstrong. Katniss has the perfect balance of warm-heartedness that isn't overcome by her drive to survive. This movie has taken Katniss the next step forward. She is engulfed in a thought provoking story-line with a complicated and deep world around her and I honestly can't wait to see what happens next. See this movie if you even slightly enjoyed the first one (it's better) and you will wait in agony for the next installment with everyone else who hasn't read the books. Leometer: 95/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment