Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Wolf of Wall Street

Tali: The Wolf of Wall Street is the (essentially true) dark comedy from Martin Scorsese about Jordan Belfort, a stock broker who in the 1980's and 90's creates a larger than life firm that deals in larger than life...everything! There were a lot of moments in this film that I couldn't believe my eyes - the amount of drugs and sex in this movie was way more than I was expecting; I think this is exactly where Jonah Hill fit in perfectly (when he meets Margot Robbie's character for the first time at the party?!?!) and gave us a refreshing new look at everybody's all-time crush Leo. I don't think I am the only one on this, but there were a lot of moments in the movie that I did NOT laugh at, though in the theatre it sounded like I was the only one who couldn't find the humour (in AIDS jokes or the frequency of abelist language, as an example). The film was entertaining though I don't think it was the "best film of the year" as some people have touted. 80/100.

Leo: This movie was perfect for me with a fairly good understanding of stock-broking and how this whole thing works. The acting was amazing, Leo was incredible as always, Jonah Hill was even more surprisingly successful out of his usual roll (but not THAT far out (re: drugs)), and where the hell did they find Margot Robbie?? She was perfect for the part. If you are not politically correct, you won't understand most of the humour, if you are too politically correct, you won't find the humour amusing, but if you are the type that understands political correctness but still gives breathing room, you will be almost constantly laughing throughout the movie (and possibly feel guilty about some of it). My one complaint about this movie is the narrative. I understand that it's based on a book and his point of view, but I'm not sure if that was the absolute best way to do it because it leaves out a lot of details even if that's kind of "the point". Leometer: 92/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment